Monday, March 7, 2011

Topic #4: Text Connections


Text to self: This book resonates with me mainly because I am of Italian heritage. I can closely relate to all of family situations in this book. The way Puzo describes all the family relations between the Corleones’ and their friends and family is very similar to how my family functions. When Puzo describes fresh sauce over steaming pasta or a sausage and pepper sandwich dripping with oil, I could practically taste the food because I’ve had it so many times. Not only was the food similar, but the way that everyone treated each other within the family resonated with me. The idea that family is forever and is a closer bond than any other one could ever create is an idea that has been ingrained in me since I was very young. The Don’s utter commitment to his family and those he has sworn to protect is closely related to the way my Grandfather treats my family and me. As an Italian, the ethnic themes portrayed in this novel really struck home.
            Text to text: The setting described at Connie Corleone’s wedding, with all the guests coming and paying their respects to the Don, is mirrored in the end of the book when all of the same characters come to the Don’s funeral and also pay their respects to Michael, the new Don. Specific people, such as Amerigo Bonasera or Nazarine the Baker, show up like clockwork to these two major occurrences in the Corleone family. This repeat of events serves to bring the novel full-circle and to show the transfer of power from Don Vito to Don Michael.

2 comments:

  1. I found your text connections both interesting and well written. I'm Sicilian, so I can totally see where you are coming from in regards to the food and the family ties. The culture of the Italian people is so well represented in "The Godfather", it really does paint a lovely picture in one's mind of what living in the Corleone family might have been like- the good and the bad. Also, your relating the wedding in the beginning of the book to the funeral at the end and the full circle between the Don and his son was very clever. Thanks for pointing it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Allison states, I enjoy how you wrote this entry. The text connections raise an interesting point that I would not have thought of. When I was reading, the food descriptions went right over my head. I like that incorporated something small in the novel and made it of importance in relation to yourself and your family. I also made a text to text connection in my entries. The things and actions the family takes seem to be reoccurring throughout the novel. As in my entry, I related it to the constant violence, I like how you changed it up and related it to the shift of power between Don Vito and Don Michael. You raise great points in each text connection.

    ReplyDelete